How many baby Akodon azaraes are in a litter?
A Akodon azarae (Akodon azarae) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 23 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 104 grams (0.23 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Akodon). An adult Akodon azarae grows up to a size of 58.3 cm (1′ 11″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Akodon azarae, also known as Azara’s akodont or Azara’s grass mouse, is a rodent species from South America. It is found from southernmost Brazil through Paraguay and Uruguay into eastern Argentina. It is named after Spanish naturalist Félix de Azara.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Akodon azarae is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Central pebble-mound mouse weighting only 12 grams
- Puno grass mouse weighting only 30 grams
- Rudd’s mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Dollman’s melomys raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
- Pygmy rock mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Namaqua rock rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Bolivian big-eared mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Arizona cotton rat weighting only 198 grams
- Luzon hairy-tailed rat weighting only 170 grams
- Junín grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Akodon azarae
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Tropical pocket gopher
- Tarbagan marmot
- Siberian zokor
- White-tailed jackrabbit
- Sierra Madre ground squirrel
- Hairy-tailed bolo mouse
- Etruscan shrew
- Dune hairy-footed gerbil
- Dsinezumi shrew
- Nectomys squamipes
Animals with the same weight as a Akodon azarae
What other animals weight around 25 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Nigerian gerbil weighting 29 grams
- Broad-headed spiny rat weighting 30 grams
- Zenker’s fruit bat weighting 21 grams
- Little desert pocket mouse weighting 23 grams
- Hairy-legged vampire bat weighting 28 grams
- Gracile shrew tenrec weighting 23 grams
- Dwarf fat-tailed mouse opossum weighting 20 grams
- Rüppell’s broad-nosed bat weighting 26 grams
- Kemp’s grass mouse weighting 26 grams
- Lesser Egyptian gerbil weighting 27 grams