How many baby Namaqua rock rats are in a litter?
A Namaqua rock rat (Aethomys namaquensis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 21 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Aethomys). An adult Namaqua rock rat grows up to a size of 14.1 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Namaqua rock rat (Aethomys namaquensis) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is sometimes included in the genus Micaelamys.It is found in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitats are temperate forest, dry savanna, temperate shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, temperate grassland, rocky areas, hot desert, temperate desert, rocky shores, arable land, rural gardens, and urban areas.Parasites include the chigger species: Afropolonia tgifi, Gahrliepia nana, Acomatacarus thallomyia, Hyracarus lawrencei, Herpetacarus aethomys, Herpetacarus longispinus, and Zumptrombicula misonnei.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Namaqua rock rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Smoky mouse weighting only 68 grams
- Mexican vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Musser’s shrew mouse raching a size of 10.6 cm (0′ 5″)
- Large vesper mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Yellow-necked mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Ethiopian striped mouse weighting only 18 grams
- Eastern white-eared giant rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Webb’s tufted-tailed rat weighting only 61 grams
- Mongolian hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- New Guinean jumping mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Namaqua rock rat
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Black-footed ferret
- Striped hog-nosed skunk
- Water deer
- Baluchistan pygmy jerboa
- Mexican volcano mouse
- Handleyomys melanotis
- Mitchell’s hopping mouse
- Stein’s rat
- Severtzov’s jerboa
- Hog badger
Animals with the same weight as a Namaqua rock rat
What other animals weight around 57 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Handleyomys melanotis weighting 50 grams
- Plains rat weighting 53 grams
- Heavy-browed mouse opossum weighting 47 grams
- Emilia’s short-tailed opossum weighting 52 grams
- Indonesian short-nosed fruit bat weighting 59 grams
- Great roundleaf bat weighting 50 grams
- Hainan gymnure weighting 52 grams
- Charming thicket rat weighting 61 grams
- Pale-faced bat weighting 55 grams
- Brown deer mouse weighting 66 grams