How many baby Handleyomys melanotiss are in a litter?
A Handleyomys melanotis (Oryzomys melanotis) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 2.37 meter (7′ 10″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Oryzomys). An adult Handleyomys melanotis grows up to a size of 12.2 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Handleyomys melanotis, also known as the black-eared oryzomys or black-eared rice rat, is a species of rodent in the genus Handleyomys of family Cricetidae. It is found in coastal lowland forest in western Mexico.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Handleyomys melanotis is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Grant’s rock mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Taczanowski’s Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Dusky hopping mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Osgood’s leaf-eared mouse weighting only 45 grams
- Chinese striped hamster with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Silver mountain vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- White-tailed rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Malabar spiny dormouse becoming 1.67 years old
- Smith’s vole weighting only 35 grams
- Sagebrush vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Handleyomys melanotis
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Kobe mole
- Severtzov’s jerboa
- Rock pocket mouse
- Hoary bamboo rat
- Desert kangaroo rat
- Eastern broad-toothed field mouse
- Greater cane rat
- Brush mouse
- Monito del monte
- Molina’s grass mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Handleyomys melanotis
What other animals weight around 50 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- White-throated grass mouse weighting 42 grams
- Phillips’s kangaroo rat weighting 41 grams
- Golden spiny mouse weighting 42 grams
- Ord’s kangaroo rat weighting 50 grams
- Whitehead’s spiny rat weighting 57 grams
- Woodland thicket rat weighting 42 grams
- Transandinomys bolivaris weighting 60 grams
- Dusky slender opossum weighting 46 grams
- Black-tailed mouse weighting 40 grams
- Woosnam’s brush-furred rat weighting 42 grams