How many baby Hoary bamboo rats are in a litter?
A Hoary bamboo rat (Rhizomys pruinosus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 90 grams (0.2 lbs) and measure 2.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Rhizomys). An adult Hoary bamboo rat grows up to a size of 21 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The hoary bamboo rat (Rhizomys pruinosus) is a species of rodent in the family Spalacidae found in Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam), East Asia (China) and South Asia (India).
Other animals of the family Muridae
Hoary bamboo rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Taiwan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tawny deer mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Malagasy giant rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-footed tree-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat weighting only 84 grams
- Guinean gerbil weighting only 102 grams
- Holochilus chacarius weighting only 204 grams
- Gray spiny mouse raching a size of 8.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Tarabundí vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Hoary bamboo rat
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Tasmanian pygmy possum
- Shipton’s mountain cavy
- Heermann’s kangaroo rat
- Kashmir flying squirrel
- Swinhoe’s striped squirrel
- True’s shrew mole
- Desert cottontail
- Swamp rabbit
- Alpine pine vole
- Hoary fox
Animals with the same weight as a Hoary bamboo rat
What other animals weight around 2.45 kg (5.4 lbs)?
- Broom hare usually reaching 2.83 kgs (6.24 lbs)
- Woolly hare usually reaching 2.47 kgs (5.45 lbs)
- Red lemur usually reaching 2.39 kgs (5.27 lbs)
- White-nosed saki usually reaching 2.8 kgs (6.17 lbs)
- Common brown lemur usually reaching 2.38 kgs (5.25 lbs)
- Subalpine woolly rat usually reaching 1.99 kgs (4.39 lbs)
- Black-tailed jackrabbit usually reaching 2.42 kgs (5.34 lbs)
- Black-rumped agouti usually reaching 2.9 kgs (6.39 lbs)
- Nilgiri marten usually reaching 2.04 kgs (4.5 lbs)
- Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine usually reaching 2 kgs (4.41 lbs)