How many baby Kashmir flying squirrels are in a litter?
A Kashmir flying squirrel (Hylopetes fimbriatus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 6 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8.5 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Hylopetes). An adult Kashmir flying squirrel grows up to a size of 13.2 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Kashmir flying squirrel (Eoglaucomys fimbriatus) is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae. It is monotypic within the genus Eoglaucomys. It is found in India and Pakistan. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical dry forests. It is threatened by habitat loss. The Afghan flying squirrel is usually considered a subspecies.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Kashmir flying squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Particolored flying squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Sculptor squirrel raching a size of 12 cm (0′ 5″)
- Red-cheeked flying squirrel weighting only 118 grams
- Hose’s pygmy flying squirrel raching a size of 7.8 cm (0′ 4″)
- Mutable sun squirrel weighting only 390 grams
- Buller’s chipmunk with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Daurian ground squirrel with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Spermophilus relictus with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Indian giant squirrel weighting around 1.06 kilograms (2.34 lbs)
- Abert’s squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Kashmir flying squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Lesser mole-rat
- Tibetan sand fox
- Plains harvest mouse
- Bushy-tailed woodrat
- Large mole
- Wagner’s gerbil
- Celebes warty pig
- Desert mouse
- Balochistan gerbil
- Whitehead’s spiny rat
Animals with the same weight as a Kashmir flying squirrel
What other animals weight around 510 grams (1.12 lbs)?
- California ground squirrel weighting 598 grams
- Greater dwarf lemur weighting 447 grams
- Red-handed tamarin weighting 541 grams
- Lesser bamboo rat weighting 472 grams
- Weyland ringtail possum weighting 456 grams
- Lutrine opossum weighting 556 grams
- Beecroft’s flying squirrel weighting 479 grams
- Gray four-eyed opossum weighting 426 grams
- Musky rat-kangaroo weighting 535 grams
- Baja California rock squirrel weighting 551 grams