It is hard to guess what a Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine (Atherurus macrourus) on average weights 2 kg (4.41 lbs).
The Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine is from the family Hystricidae (genus: Atherurus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 43.1 cm (1′ 5″). Usually, Asiatic brush-tailed porcupines have 1 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine (Atherurus macrourus) is a species of rodent in the family Hystricidae.It is found in China, India, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. The synonyms of this species are Atherurus assamensis (Thomas, 1921), and Atherurus macrourus (Thomas, 1921) subspecies assamensis.It is a nocturnal and fossorial species occurring in subtropical and tropical montane forests. It is found on the forest floor, often in areas with profuse undergrowth interspersed with cane and bamboo brakes and palms (Molur et al. 2005). It constructs burrows, which may be occupied by up to three animals. The female produces one or two litters a year, of a single young, after a gestation period of 100 to 110 days.Known to be one of the rarest porcupines in South Asia, the species is protected under Schedule II of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, though not listed in CITES. It has been recorded from Namdapha National Park in Arunachal Pradesh, India (Molur et al. 2005). It is present in a number of protected areas in Southeast Asia.
Animals of the same family as a Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine
We found other animals of the Hystricidae family:
- Thick-spined porcupine bringing 4.59 kilos (10.12 lbs) to the scale
- Indian crested porcupine bringing 14.3 kilos (31.53 lbs) to the scale
- Long-tailed porcupine bringing 1.75 kilos (3.86 lbs) to the scale
- Malayan porcupine bringing 8 kilos (17.64 lbs) to the scale
- African brush-tailed porcupine bringing 2.88 kilos (6.35 lbs) to the scale
- Crested porcupine bringing 13.4 kilos (29.54 lbs) to the scale
- Cape porcupine bringing 14.92 kilos (32.89 lbs) to the scale
- Philippine porcupine bringing 3.55 kilos (7.83 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Atherurus macrourus:
- Swamp rabbit with a weight of 2.14 kilos (4.72 lbs)
- Hamlyn’s monkey with a weight of 2.31 kilos (5.09 lbs)
- Yunnan hare with a weight of 2.02 kilos (4.45 lbs)
- Southern giant slender-tailed cloud rat with a weight of 1.84 kilos (4.06 lbs)
- Rothschild’s porcupine with a weight of 2 kilos (4.41 lbs)
- Liberian mongoose with a weight of 1.82 kilos (4.01 lbs)
- Rock-haunting ringtail possum with a weight of 1.88 kilos (4.14 lbs)
- Cape hare with a weight of 2.05 kilos (4.52 lbs)
- Meller’s mongoose with a weight of 2.24 kilos (4.94 lbs)
- Crab-eating mongoose with a weight of 2.38 kilos (5.25 lbs)
Animals with the same litter size as a Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Asiatic brush-tailed porcupine: