How many baby Large vesper mouses are in a litter?
A Large vesper mouse (Calomys callosus) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 15 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 21 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Calomys). An adult Large vesper mouse grows up to a size of 24.7 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The large vesper mouse (Calomys callosus) is a South American rodent species of the family Cricetidae.It is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil and Paraguay.Its karyotype has 2n = 50 and FN = 66. It was formerly synonymized with C. expulsus, but the latter has 2n = 66 and FN = 68.It is particularly notable as the vector of Bolivian hemorrhagic fever.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Large vesper mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Transandinomys bolivaris with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Afghan vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Charming climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Western harvest mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Van Deusen’s rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Oecomys speciosus weighting only 73 grams
- White-tipped tufted-tailed rat weighting only 100 grams
- Sula rat weighting only 131 grams
- Darwin’s leaf-eared mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Small hocicudo weighting only 67 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Large vesper mouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- White-tailed prairie dog
- Golden-mantled ground squirrel
- Pygmy rabbit
- Alston’s cotton rat
- Merriam’s shrew
- Smoky shrew
- Wyoming ground squirrel
- Piebald shrew
- Midday jird
- Sminthopsis laniger
Animals with the same weight as a Large vesper mouse
What other animals weight around 45 grams (0.1 lbs)?
- Handleyomys fuscatus weighting 49 grams
- Grayish mouse opossum weighting 48 grams
- Aratathomas’s yellow-shouldered bat weighting 49 grams
- Murree vole weighting 52 grams
- Short-snouted elephant shrew weighting 45 grams
- Dark bolo mouse weighting 40 grams
- Northern smooth-tailed treeshrew weighting 50 grams
- Elegant water shrew weighting 38 grams
- Silver mountain vole weighting 37 grams
- White-striped free-tailed bat weighting 36 grams