How many baby Armored rats are in a litter?
A Armored rat (Hoplomys gymnurus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 60 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 24 grams (0.05 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Echimyidae family (genus: Hoplomys). An adult Armored rat grows up to a size of 22.3 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The armored rat (Hoplomys gymnurus) is a species of rodent in the family Echimyidae. It is monotypic within the genus Hoplomys. It is found in Latin America, from northern Honduras to northwest Ecuador. It possesses a range of spines on its back and sides of the body.
Other animals of the family Echimyidae
Armored rat is a member of the Echimyidae, as are these animals:
- Fischer’s guiara weighting only 188 grams
- Long-tailed armored tree-rat weighting only 439 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting only 285 grams
- Pacific spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
- Painted tree-rat weighting only 519 grams
- White-spined Atlantic spiny rat weighting only 285 grams
- Goeldi’s spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
- Tome’s spiny rat weighting only 285 grams
- Pallid Atlantic tree-rat weighting only 215 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting only 284 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Armored rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Gray-bellied caenolestid
- Pipistrellus mimus
- Canada lynx
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat
- Indian crested porcupine
- Japanese house bat
- Savi’s pipistrelle
- Brown hyena
- Black-shouldered opossum
Animals with the same weight as a Armored rat
What other animals weight around 281 grams (0.62 lbs)?
- Speckled ground squirrel weighting 252 grams
- Japanese squirrel weighting 264 grams
- Cooper’s mountain squirrel weighting 250 grams
- Vogelkop ringtail possum weighting 255 grams
- Short-tailed spiny rat weighting 285 grams
- Roberto’s spiny rat weighting 285 grams
- Somali bushbaby weighting 250 grams
- Simons’s spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Tate’s triok weighting 252 grams
- Samoa flying fox weighting 309 grams