How many baby Barbary striped grass mouses are in a litter?
A Barbary striped grass mouse (Lemniscomys barbarus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Lemniscomys). An adult Barbary striped grass mouse grows up to a size of 10.3 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Barbary striped grass mouse (Lemniscomys barbarus) is a small rodent of the suborder Myomorpha. This monotypic species is native to coastal Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia in northwest Africa. In the past it was believed to also occur throughout a large part of Sub-Saharan Africa, but these populations are now treated as a separate species, the Heuglin’s striped grass mouse (L. zebra). These relatively small Lemniscomys are among the species most commonly kept in captivity.The Barbary, Heuglin’s and Hoogstral’s striped grass mouse (L. hoogstraali) form a group that have a distinctly dark and light striped pelage. Other Lemniscomys either have more spotty/interrupted stripes or only a single dark stripe along the back.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Barbary striped grass mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Long-tailed mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern Luzon giant cloud rat weighting around 1.75 kilograms (3.86 lbs)
- Mongolian hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Great Balkhan mouse-like hamster with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Long-nosed mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Jaliscan cotton rat weighting only 120 grams
- Beach vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Vinogradov’s jird with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Geoxus valdivianus with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Barbary striped grass mouse
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- European mink
- Montane wood mouse
- Kellen’s dormouse
- Black-tailed gerbil
- Geata mouse shrew
- Western heather vole
- Gray-collared chipmunk
- Small five-toed jerboa
- Western harvest mouse
- Panamint chipmunk
Animals with the same weight as a Barbary striped grass mouse
What other animals weight around 26 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Mindanao lowland forest mouse weighting 31 grams
- Woodland jumping mouse weighting 22 grams
- Broad-headed spiny rat weighting 30 grams
- Serotine bat weighting 23 grams
- Campbell’s dwarf hamster weighting 27 grams
- Abrothrix andinus weighting 24 grams
- Pinyon mouse weighting 27 grams
- Least gerbil weighting 26 grams
- Southern bog lemming weighting 28 grams
- Blanford’s fruit bat weighting 28 grams