How many baby Black squirrel monkeys are in a litter?
A Black squirrel monkey (Saimiri vanzolinii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 108 grams (0.24 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Cebidae family (genus: Saimiri). An adult Black squirrel monkey grows up to a size of 30.9 cm (1′ 1″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The black squirrel monkey (Saimiri vanzolinii), also known as the blackish squirrel monkey or black-headed squirrel monkey, is a small New World primate, endemic to the central Amazon in Brazil. It largely resembles the female of the far more common Bolivian squirrel monkey, though the latter lacks the black central back.This squirrel monkey has one of the most restricted geographical distributions for a primate, living in várzea forest in the confluence of the Japura and Solimões rivers. Its entire range is within the Mamirauá Sustainable Development Reserve. It resides in the reserve with two other Saimiri species. It is a social primate that travels with other black squirrel monkeys in large troops within its habitat. Its small size makes it an easy target for its predators; however, it may resist predators when it travels in large troops.Its species overall has positive effects on the economy.
Other animals of the family Cebidae
Black squirrel monkey is a member of the Cebidae, as are these animals:
- Equatorial saki becoming 14.83 years old
- Humboldt’s white-fronted capuchin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- White-footed saki weighting around 2.8 kilograms (6.17 lbs)
- Venezuelan red howler with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Guatemalan black howler with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Guianan squirrel monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Colombian white-faced capuchin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Aotus infulatus weighting only 800 grams
- Rio Tapajós saki weighting around 2.31 kilograms (5.09 lbs)
- Brumback’s night monkey weighting only 603 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Black squirrel monkey
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Goa (antelope)
- Preuss’s red colobus
- Black-headed spider monkey
- Rock cavy
- Red giant flying squirrel
- Evening bat
- Barbary macaque
- Tree bat
- Long-legged bat
- South African springhare
Animals with the same weight as a Black squirrel monkey
What other animals weight around 784 grams (1.73 lbs)?
- Cacomistle weighting 906 grams
- Lord Derby’s scaly-tailed squirrel weighting 665 grams
- Painted ringtail possum weighting 639 grams
- Grey-headed flying fox weighting 702 grams
- Peruvian night monkey weighting 800 grams
- Rock squirrel weighting 715 grams
- Desert cottontail weighting 882 grams
- Bolivian bamboo rat weighting 729 grams
- Aotus infulatus weighting 800 grams
- Livingstone’s fruit bat weighting 733 grams