How many baby Tree bats are in a litter?
A Tree bat (Ardops nichollsi) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Phyllostomidae family (genus: Ardops). An adult Tree bat grows up to a size of 69.2 cm (2′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The tree bat (Ardops nichollsi) is a species of bat in the family Phyllostomidae. It is monotypic within the genus Ardops. It is found in Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Saint Lucia, Saba and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Other animals of the family Phyllostomidae
Tree bat is a member of the Phyllostomidae, as are these animals:
- Geoffroy’s tailless bat becoming 10 years old
- Chestnut long-tongued bat weighting only 8 grams
- Orange nectar bat weighting only 13 grams
- Flat-faced fruit-eating bat weighting only 47 grams
- Dwarf little fruit bat weighting only 9 grams
- Great fruit-eating bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tilda’s yellow-shouldered bat weighting only 24 grams
- Thomas’s broad-nosed bat weighting only 26 grams
- Brown tent-making bat weighting only 17 grams
- Northern little yellow-eared bat weighting only 7 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Tree bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Brazilian brown bat
- Daubenton’s bat
- Crab-eating macaque
- Eastern hare-wallaby
- Pampas deer
- King colobus
- Large-eared pied bat
- Eastern long-fingered bat
- Western woolly lemur
- African sheath-tailed bat
Animals with the same weight as a Tree bat
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- European pine vole weighting 17 grams
- Chinese shrew mole weighting 16 grams
- Steppe field mouse weighting 20 grams
- Spiny pocket mouse weighting 16 grams
- Lakeland Downs mouse weighting 17 grams
- Big free-tailed bat weighting 18 grams
- Maggie Taylor’s roundleaf bat weighting 16 grams
- Wilson’s spiny mouse weighting 18 grams
- Van Gelder’s bat weighting 22 grams
- Aztec fruit-eating bat weighting 20 grams