How many baby Eastern long-fingered bats are in a litter?
A Eastern long-fingered bat (Myotis macrodactylus) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 3 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Myotis). An adult Eastern long-fingered bat grows up to a size of 5.2 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The eastern long-fingered bat, or big-footed myotis (Myotis macrodactylus) is a species of vesper bat. An adult big-footed myotis has a body length of 4.1-4.8 cm, a tail of 3.1-4.9 cm, and a wing length of 3.7-4.2 cm. It nests in groups, and favors caves, tunnels and abandoned mines. It can be found in Korea, Japan from the Amami Islands in the south to Hokkaido in the north, as well as in eastern Siberia and Sakhalin in Russia.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Eastern long-fingered bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Eastern small-footed myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Surat serotine weighting only 13 grams
- Black-winged little yellow bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Montane myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Eastern forest bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Spotted bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Riparian myotis weighting only 4 grams
- Rüppell’s pipistrelle with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Cadorna’s pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Eastern long-fingered bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Eastern lesser bamboo lemur
- Tufted deer
- Gould’s long-eared bat
- South Asian river dolphin
- Red-faced spider monkey
- Yellow-spotted rock hyrax
- Alpine ibex
- Southern forest bat
- Shining thicket rat
- Sunda pangolin
Animals with the same weight as a Eastern long-fingered bat
What other animals weight around 7 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Darling’s horseshoe bat weighting 8 grams
- Lesser long-fingered bat weighting 7 grams
- Southeast Asian long-fingered bat weighting 6 grams
- Kelaart’s pipistrelle weighting 8 grams
- Emilia’s gracile opossum weighting 7 grams
- Northern broad-nosed bat weighting 8 grams
- Goldman’s broad-clawed shrew weighting 6 grams
- São Tomé free-tailed bat weighting 7 grams
- Dwarf slit-faced bat weighting 6 grams
- Broad-headed pipistrelle weighting 6 grams