How many baby Shining thicket rats are in a litter?
A Shining thicket rat (Grammomys rutilans) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 4 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Grammomys). An adult Shining thicket rat grows up to a size of 11 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The shining thicket rat (Grammomys poensis) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Shining thicket rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Molaccan prehensile-tailed rat weighting only 148 grams
- Gambian pouched rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Geoxus valdivianus with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Woodland thicket rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Hummelinck’s vesper mouse weighting only 27 grams
- Rufous-bellied bolo mouse weighting only 32 grams
- European water vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Ungava collared lemming with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Strong-tailed Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Oecomys bicolor with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Shining thicket rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Mountain paca
- Brown long-eared bat
- New Zealand sea lion
- Pygmy slow loris
- Hispaniolan hutia
- Crested mona monkey
- Acuminate horseshoe bat
- Steller’s sea cow
- Hoolock gibbon
- Pygmy treeshrew
Animals with the same weight as a Shining thicket rat
What other animals weight around 43 grams (0.09 lbs)?
- Akodon sylvanus weighting 39 grams
- Lesser spear-nosed bat weighting 41 grams
- Mitchell’s hopping mouse weighting 42 grams
- Olive grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- Ruwenzori thicket rat weighting 41 grams
- Zempoaltépec vole weighting 42 grams
- El Dorado grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- Montane fish-eating rat weighting 39 grams
- Merriam’s kangaroo rat weighting 37 grams
- Social vole weighting 48 grams