How many baby Mountain pacas are in a litter?
A Mountain paca (Agouti taczanowskii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 674 grams (1.49 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Agoutidae family (genus: Agouti). An adult Mountain paca grows up to a size of 65 cm (2′ 2″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The mountain paca (Cuniculus taczanowskii) is a small burrow-dwelling rodent whose habitats are high altitude South American forests. Pacas are nocturnal, sedentary, and solitary animals with territorial tendencies. It eats mostly fruits and seeds. The mountain paca primarily inhabits higher Andean montane forest regions in Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia.This paca has coarse fur without underfur, dark brown to black on the upper body and white or yellowish on the underbelly. It usually has three to five rows of white spots along its sides, against a dark grey background. It has thick strong legs, with four digits in the forefeet and five in the hind feet (the first and fifth are reduced); the nails function as hooves. The tail is short and hairless. The zygomatic arch is expanded laterally and dorsally and is used as a resonating chamber – a unique feature among mammals.The mountain paca is hunted for its meat, which is high in calories and is considered a delicacy particularly in rural communities. Due to its quick growth, it may be bred in captivity for commercial use. However, it has a low reproductive capacity and its numbers have been significantly reduced in recent years due to hunting and habitat destruction. It is fairly abundant in protected areas.
Other animals of the family Agoutidae
Mountain paca is a member of the Agoutidae, as are these animals:
- Lowland paca with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Mountain paca
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- African savanna hare
- Egyptian fruit bat
- Patas monkey
- Ryukyu flying fox
- Bougainville monkey-faced bat
- Tricolored bat
- Soemmerring’s gazelle
- Thomas’s mosaic-tailed rat
- Black-striped wallaby
Animals with the same weight as a Mountain paca
What other animals weight around 9 kg (19.84 lbs)?
- Red-faced spider monkey usually reaching 8.7 kgs (19.18 lbs)
- Pygmy hog usually reaching 7.92 kgs (17.46 lbs)
- East Javan langur usually reaching 9.72 kgs (21.43 lbs)
- Toolache wallaby usually reaching 10 kgs (22.05 lbs)
- Andean mountain cat usually reaching 8.13 kgs (17.92 lbs)
- Maxwell’s duiker usually reaching 8.44 kgs (18.61 lbs)
- Yellow-tailed woolly monkey usually reaching 8.23 kgs (18.14 lbs)
- Indian pangolin usually reaching 8.02 kgs (17.68 lbs)
- North American porcupine usually reaching 7.42 kgs (16.36 lbs)
- Eurasian otter usually reaching 8.86 kgs (19.53 lbs)