How many baby Sunda pangolins are in a litter?
A Sunda pangolin (Manis javanica) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 311 grams (0.69 lbs) and measure 19.1 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Manidae family (genus: Manis). An adult Sunda pangolin grows up to a size of 59 cm (2′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Sunda pangolin (Manis javanica), also known as the Malayan or Javan pangolin, is a species of pangolin.It is found throughout Southeast Asia, including Brunei, Cambodia, Java, Sumatra, Borneo, the Lesser Sunda Islands, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar and Vietnam. It prefers forested habitats (primary, secondary, and scrub forest) and plantations (rubber, palm oil). A large part of its life is spent in trees.
Other animals of the family Manidae
Sunda pangolin is a member of the Manidae, as are these animals:
- Indian pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant pangolin weighting around 33 kilograms (72.75 lbs)
- Chinese pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ground pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tree pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Sunda pangolin
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Pemba flying fox
- Red-bellied titi
- Black-shanked douc
- Weddell seal
- Merriam’s pocket gopher
- Taiwan vole
- Dall sheep
- Northern brushtail possum
- Natterer’s bat
- Père David’s deer
Animals with the same weight as a Sunda pangolin
What other animals weight around 4.86 kg (10.72 lbs)?
- Pale-throated sloth usually reaching 4.33 kgs (9.55 lbs)
- Sechuran fox usually reaching 4.23 kgs (9.33 lbs)
- Proserpine rock-wallaby usually reaching 5.6 kgs (12.35 lbs)
- Red-necked pademelon usually reaching 5.4 kgs (11.9 lbs)
- Formosan rock macaque usually reaching 5.75 kgs (12.68 lbs)
- Brown howler usually reaching 5.19 kgs (11.44 lbs)
- Maned sloth usually reaching 4.47 kgs (9.85 lbs)
- Greater naked-tailed armadillo usually reaching 5.35 kgs (11.79 lbs)
- Giant bandicoot usually reaching 4.8 kgs (10.58 lbs)
- Brown-throated sloth usually reaching 4 kgs (8.82 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Sunda pangolin
Also reaching around 59 cm (2′ 0″) in size do these animals:
- Gee’s golden langur gets as big as 60.5 cm (2′ 0″)
- Suni gets as big as 59.9 cm (2′ 0″)
- African palm civet gets as big as 50 cm (1′ 8″)
- Hoary fox gets as big as 60.3 cm (2′ 0″)
- Honey badger gets as big as 68.4 cm (2′ 3″)
- Andean mountain cat gets as big as 59.9 cm (2′ 0″)
- Black crested gibbon gets as big as 54.5 cm (1′ 10″)
- Hamadryas baboon gets as big as 67.5 cm (2′ 3″)
- Pale-throated sloth gets as big as 54.8 cm (1′ 10″)
- Gelada gets as big as 62 cm (2′ 1″)