How many baby Tree pangolins are in a litter?
A Tree pangolin (Manis tricuspis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 124 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 110 grams (0.24 lbs) and measure 13.3 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Manidae family (genus: Manis). An adult Tree pangolin grows up to a size of 48.9 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The tree pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis) is one of eight extant species of pangolins (“scaly anteaters”), and is native to equatorial Africa. Also known as the white-bellied pangolin or three-cusped pangolin, it is the most common of the African forest pangolins.
Other animals of the family Manidae
Tree pangolin is a member of the Manidae, as are these animals:
- Sunda pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ground pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Indian pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Chinese pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant pangolin weighting around 33 kilograms (72.75 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Tree pangolin
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- East Caucasian tur
- Mule deer
- Black and rufous elephant shrew
- Tarabundí vole
- Commerson’s roundleaf bat
- Proboscis monkey
- Western long-beaked echidna
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat
- Shining thicket rat
Animals with the same weight as a Tree pangolin
What other animals weight around 1.54 kg (3.4 lbs)?
- Southern long-nosed armadillo usually reaching 1.5 kgs (3.31 lbs)
- Angolan talapoin usually reaching 1.25 kgs (2.76 lbs)
- Haussa genet usually reaching 1.4 kgs (3.09 lbs)
- Seven-banded armadillo usually reaching 1.53 kgs (3.37 lbs)
- Common genet usually reaching 1.77 kgs (3.9 lbs)
- Rothschild’s cuscus usually reaching 1.37 kgs (3.02 lbs)
- Back-striped weasel usually reaching 1.5 kgs (3.31 lbs)
- Gilbert’s potoroo usually reaching 1.57 kgs (3.46 lbs)
- Steppe polecat usually reaching 1.69 kgs (3.73 lbs)
- Aquatic genet usually reaching 1.65 kgs (3.64 lbs)