How many baby Ground pangolins are in a litter?
A Ground pangolin (Manis temminckii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 139 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 345 grams (0.76 lbs) and measure 13.3 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Manidae family (genus: Manis). An adult Ground pangolin grows up to a size of 48.9 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The ground pangolin (Smutsia temminckii), also known as Temminck’s pangolin or Cape pangolin, is one of four species of pangolins which can be found in Africa, and the only one in southern and eastern Africa. The animal was named for the Dutch zoologist Coenraad Jacob Temminck. As a group, pangolins are among the most critically endangered animals in the world.
Other animals of the family Manidae
Ground pangolin is a member of the Manidae, as are these animals:
- Chinese pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sunda pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Long-tailed pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant pangolin weighting around 33 kilograms (72.75 lbs)
- Indian pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tree pangolin with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Ground pangolin
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Spectral tarsier
- Daubenton’s bat
- Horsfield’s tarsier
- Rwanda African mole-rat
- Spectacled hare-wallaby
- Eastern forest bat
- Asian small-clawed otter
- Striped bandicoot
- Zanzibar red colobus
Animals with the same weight as a Ground pangolin
What other animals weight around 11.92 kg (26.28 lbs)?
- Drill (animal) usually reaching 14.23 kgs (31.37 lbs)
- Dwarf musk deer usually reaching 12.39 kgs (27.32 lbs)
- Grizzled tree-kangaroo usually reaching 12.61 kgs (27.8 lbs)
- Nilgiri langur usually reaching 10.6 kgs (23.37 lbs)
- Indian crested porcupine usually reaching 14.3 kgs (31.53 lbs)
- European badger usually reaching 11.89 kgs (26.21 lbs)
- Black snub-nosed monkey usually reaching 11 kgs (24.25 lbs)
- White-bellied duiker usually reaching 13.1 kgs (28.88 lbs)
- East Javan langur usually reaching 9.72 kgs (21.43 lbs)
- Water chevrotain usually reaching 10.83 kgs (23.88 lbs)
Animals with the same size as a Ground pangolin
Also reaching around 48.9 cm (1′ 8″) in size do these animals:
- Tufted capuchin gets as big as 42.8 cm (1′ 5″)
- White-tailed mongoose gets as big as 57.3 cm (1′ 11″)
- Sunda stink badger gets as big as 44.2 cm (1′ 6″)
- Dusky leaf monkey gets as big as 54.9 cm (1′ 10″)
- Hispid hare gets as big as 46 cm (1′ 7″)
- Angola colobus gets as big as 56.5 cm (1′ 11″)
- Bay cat gets as big as 55 cm (1′ 10″)
- Moustached guenon gets as big as 52 cm (1′ 9″)
- Sechuran fox gets as big as 56.2 cm (1′ 11″)
- Golden-backed uakari gets as big as 40 cm (1′ 4″)