How many baby Northern brushtail possums are in a litter?
A Northern brushtail possum (Trichosurus arnhemensis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 29.62 kg (65.3 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Phalangeridae family (genus: Trichosurus). An adult Northern brushtail possum grows up to a size of 3.5 meter (11′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The northern brushtail possum (Trichosurus arnhemensis) is a nocturnal marsupial inhabiting northern Australia. The northern brushtail possum is sometimes considered a species, however more often than not is considered a subspecies of the common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula arnhemensis).
Other animals of the family Phalangeridae
Northern brushtail possum is a member of the Phalangeridae, as are these animals:
- Northern common cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Woodlark cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-spotted cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common brushtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mountain cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Stein’s cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern common cuscus with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Common spotted cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Scaly-tailed possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ornate cuscus weighting around 1.79 kilograms (3.95 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Northern brushtail possum
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Goodfellow’s tree-kangaroo
- Baikal seal
- Dent’s vlei rat
- Chiapan deer mouse
- Small bent-winged bat
- Nilgiri tahr
- Scimitar oryx
- Preuss’s red colobus
- Gray dorcopsis
- Climbing shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Northern brushtail possum
What other animals weight around 1.55 kg (3.41 lbs)?
- Silvery greater galago usually reaching 1.58 kgs (3.48 lbs)
- Aquatic genet usually reaching 1.65 kgs (3.64 lbs)
- Ruddy mongoose usually reaching 1.7 kgs (3.75 lbs)
- Gilbert’s potoroo usually reaching 1.57 kgs (3.46 lbs)
- Stein’s cuscus usually reaching 1.85 kgs (4.08 lbs)
- Steppe polecat usually reaching 1.68 kgs (3.7 lbs)
- Grizzled giant squirrel usually reaching 1.33 kgs (2.93 lbs)
- Gambian pouched rat usually reaching 1.27 kgs (2.8 lbs)
- Crowned lemur usually reaching 1.7 kgs (3.75 lbs)
- Lake Mackay hare-wallaby usually reaching 1.5 kgs (3.31 lbs)