How many baby Dent’s vlei rats are in a litter?
A Dent’s vlei rat (Otomys denti) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 20 grams (0.04 lbs) and measure 15.2 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Otomys). An adult Dent’s vlei rat grows up to a size of 15 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Dent’s vlei rat (Otomys denti) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist montane forests, subtropical or tropical high-altitude shrubland, and subtropical or tropical high-altitude grassland.It is threatened by habitat loss.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Dent’s vlei rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Bavarian pine vole raching a size of 9.8 cm (0′ 4″)
- Wood mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Senegal gerbil with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Akodon aerosus weighting only 60 grams
- Malagasy giant rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peterson’s chinchilla mouse weighting only 83 grams
- Oligoryzomys nigripes with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Fulvous harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Annandale’s rat weighting only 197 grams
- Mindanao montane forest mouse weighting only 34 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Dent’s vlei rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Northern nail-tail wallaby
- Malayan porcupine
- Brush-tailed rock-wallaby
- Dent’s mona monkey
- Water buffalo
- Handley’s tailless bat
- Indiana bat
- Natal red rock hare
- Mountain paca
Animals with the same weight as a Dent’s vlei rat
What other animals weight around 120 grams (0.26 lbs)?
- Hinde’s rock rat weighting 141 grams
- Woolly-headed spiny tree-rat weighting 108 grams
- Fringe-tailed gerbil weighting 96 grams
- Harpy fruit bat weighting 135 grams
- Garden dormouse weighting 115 grams
- Edible dormouse weighting 128 grams
- Red-cheeked flying squirrel weighting 118 grams
- Dwarf flying fox weighting 122 grams
- Long-haired rousette weighting 104 grams
- Black-tailed tree rat weighting 125 grams