It is hard to guess what a Fringe-tailed gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Fringe-tailed gerbil (Tatera robusta) on average weights 96 grams (0.21 lbs).
The Fringe-tailed gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Tatera). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 11.7 cm (0′ 5″). Usually, Fringe-tailed gerbils have 5 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The fringe-tailed gerbil (Gerbilliscus robustus) is a species of gerbil found in Central African Republic, Chad, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Niger, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, possibly Cameroon, and possibly Nigeria. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, moist savanna, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, arable land and urban areas.
Animals of the same family as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Wolffsohn’s leaf-eared mouse with a weight of 42 grams
- Rajah spiny rat with a weight of 150 grams
- Delicate vesper mouse with a weight of 13 grams
- Small hocicudo with a weight of 67 grams
- Golden hamster with a weight of 98 grams
- Phillips’s gerbil with a weight of 127 grams
- Slender rat with a weight of 97 grams
- Hispid cotton rat with a weight of 111 grams
- Northern collared lemming with a weight of 46 grams
- Chihuahuan mouse with a weight of 40 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Tatera robusta:
- Venezuelan climbing mouse bringing 89 grams to the scale
- Slender rat bringing 109 grams to the scale
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat bringing 80 grams to the scale
- Bartels’s spiny rat bringing 88 grams to the scale
- Kobe mole bringing 95 grams to the scale
- Kemp’s gerbil bringing 101 grams to the scale
- Texas antelope squirrel bringing 113 grams to the scale
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat bringing 80 grams to the scale
- Voalavoanala bringing 97 grams to the scale
- Asian garden dormouse bringing 100 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Fringe-tailed gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (5) as a Fringe-tailed gerbil: