How many baby Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouses are in a litter?
A Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse (Zelotomys hildegardeae) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 6.34 kg (13.99 lbs) and measure 11.1 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Zelotomys). An adult Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse grows up to a size of 9.8 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse (Zelotomys hildegardeae) or Hildegarde’s zelotomys, is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.It is found in Central Africa.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Brown rat with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Somali pygmy gerbil raching a size of 6.8 cm (0′ 3″)
- Mearns’s pouched mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- New Britain water rat raching a size of 29.2 cm (1′ 0″)
- Gray-tailed vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Zempoaltépec vole weighting only 42 grams
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lowland mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Buff-bellied climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Fulvous harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Oligoryzomys flavescens
- Gray-bellied pygmy mouse
- Northern red-backed vole
- Olive grass mouse
- Speckled ground squirrel
- Olive-backed pocket mouse
- Small vesper mouse
- Wood lemming
- Narrow-nosed planigale
Animals with the same weight as a Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse
What other animals weight around 55 grams (0.12 lbs)?
- Highland brush mouse weighting 54 grams
- Whitehead’s spiny rat weighting 57 grams
- Hainan gymnure weighting 52 grams
- Alston’s cotton rat weighting 55 grams
- Miller’s striped mouse weighting 49 grams
- Handleyomys melanotis weighting 50 grams
- Indonesian short-nosed fruit bat weighting 59 grams
- Coast mole weighting 61 grams
- Lodgepole chipmunk weighting 60 grams
- Ivory Coast rat weighting 52 grams