It is hard to guess what a Alston’s cotton rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Alston’s cotton rat (Sigmodon alstoni) on average weights 55 grams (0.12 lbs).
The Alston’s cotton rat is from the family Muridae (genus: Sigmodon). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 17 cm (0′ 7″). On average, Alston’s cotton rats can have babies 5 times per year with a litter size of 5.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Alston’s cotton rat (Sigmodon alstoni) is a rodent species from South America. It is found in Brazil, Colombia, Guyana, Suriname, and Venezuela, where it inhabits lowland savannas.
Animals of the same family as a Alston’s cotton rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Sundevall’s jird with a weight of 69 grams
- Shaw’s jird with a weight of 90 grams
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat with a weight of 84 grams
- Zempoaltépec vole with a weight of 42 grams
- Jalapan pine vole with a weight of 40 grams
- Tete veld aethomys with a weight of 133 grams
- Jico deer mouse with a weight of 40 grams
- Cozumel harvest mouse with a weight of 20 grams
- Long-tailed Talaud mosaic-tailed rat with a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- European pine vole with a weight of 17 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Alston’s cotton rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Sigmodon alstoni:
- Oecomys concolor bringing 54 grams to the scale
- One-striped opossum bringing 55 grams to the scale
- Temchuk’s bolo mouse bringing 47 grams to the scale
- Mexican volcano mouse bringing 44 grams to the scale
- Peters’s striped mouse bringing 54 grams to the scale
- Taiwan vole bringing 46 grams to the scale
- Northern water rat bringing 54 grams to the scale
- Guajira mouse opossum bringing 46 grams to the scale
- Black-bellied fruit bat bringing 47 grams to the scale
- Yellow-rumped leaf-eared mouse bringing 53 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Alston’s cotton rat
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (5) as a Alston’s cotton rat: