How many baby Grey red-backed voles are in a litter?
A Grey red-backed vole (Clethrionomys rufocanus) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 3 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 15 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 2.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Clethrionomys). An adult Grey red-backed vole grows up to a size of 10.6 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The grey red-backed vole or the grey-sided vole (Myodes rufocanus) is a species of vole. An adult grey red-backed vole weighs 20-50 grams. This species ranges across northern Eurasia, including northern China, the northern Korean Peninsula, and the islands of Sakhalin and Hokkaidō. It is larger and longer-legged than the northern red-backed vole (Myodes rutilus), which covers a similar range and it is also sympatric with the Norwegian lemming (Lemmus lemmus).
Other animals of the family Muridae
Grey red-backed vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Mayor’s mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Water vole (North America) with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Delicate vesper mouse weighting only 13 grams
- Anderson’s gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser hamster-rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Tien Shan red-backed vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Eva’s desert mouse weighting only 21 grams
- Mount Kahuzi climbing mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Ladew’s Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Southern big-eared mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Grey red-backed vole
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Small vesper mouse
- Dalton’s mouse
- Wood mouse
- Water vole (North America)
- Northern short-tailed shrew
- Northern red-backed vole
- Alston’s cotton rat
- Algerian mouse
- Daurian pika
- Olive grass mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Grey red-backed vole
What other animals weight around 36 grams (0.08 lbs)?
- Paraguayan fat-tailed mouse opossum weighting 34 grams
- Vordermann’s flying squirrel weighting 36 grams
- Jackson’s soft-furred mouse weighting 39 grams
- Florida mouse weighting 30 grams
- Mittendorf’s striped grass mouse weighting 41 grams
- Cameroon soft-furred mouse weighting 41 grams
- Graphiurus hueti weighting 30 grams
- Merriam’s kangaroo rat weighting 37 grams
- Northern mole vole weighting 40 grams
- Dusky fruit bat weighting 35 grams