How many baby Mayor’s mouses are in a litter?
A Mayor’s mouse (Mus mayori) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 9.9 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Mus). An adult Mayor’s mouse grows up to a size of 12.9 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Mus mayori is a species of rodent in the genus Mus, the mice. Its common names include Mayor’s mouse, highland rat, and spiny mouse. It is endemic to Sri Lanka.This mouse lives in tropical and subtropical forest types and wet grassland habitat. It is fossorial, seeking shelter by digging burrows. It is nocturnal.This species is widespread in parts of Sri Lanka but it faces a number of threats, including deforestation and domestic cats.There are two subspecies, M. m. mayori and M. m. pococki. A recent study catalogued the parasites associated with subspecies pococki: a mite of genus Echinolaelaps, a tick of genus Ixodes, and the sucking louse Polyplax spinulosa. A new species of pseudoscorpion was found on the mouse, described, and named Megachernes kanneliyensis. The mouse also carries the native Sri Lankan flea Stivalius phoberus.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Mayor’s mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Chiriqui brown mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Link rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Carpentarian rock rat weighting only 123 grams
- Ivory Coast rat weighting only 52 grams
- Common vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Mamore arboreal rice rat weighting only 62 grams
- Oecomys paricola weighting only 73 grams
- Oligoryzomys nigripes with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Sand-colored soft-furred rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Olrog’s chaco mouse weighting only 32 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Mayor’s mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once: