How many baby Chiriqui brown mouses are in a litter?
A Chiriqui brown mouse (Scotinomys xerampelinus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 33 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Scotinomys). An adult Chiriqui brown mouse grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Chiriqui brown mouse (Scotinomys xerampelinus), also known as the long-tailed singing mouse, is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in cloud forest and paramo at elevations of 2100 to 3400 m in Costa Rica and Panama.Male Chiriqui brown mice sing to attract mates and to warn off other males from their territories. Their songs also serve to repel members of the related, smaller, competing species, S. teguina.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Chiriqui brown mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Northern hopping mouse weighting only 38 grams
- Short-tailed bandicoot rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Hildegarde’s broad-headed mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Lorentz’s mosaic-tailed rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-tailed tree rat weighting only 125 grams
- Golden hamster with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Short-tailed hopping mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Chestnut white-bellied rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Defua rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Big-headed African mole-rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Chiriqui brown mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Heath mouse
- Mitchell’s hopping mouse
- Common dwarf mongoose
- Père David’s mole
- Molina’s grass mouse
- Long-tailed marmot
- Nine-banded armadillo
- Andean mountain cavy
- Nephelomys albigularis
- Woodland dormouse
Animals with the same weight as a Chiriqui brown mouse
What other animals weight around 15 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Small vesper mouse weighting 14 grams
- Great bent-winged bat weighting 15 grams
- Semon’s leaf-nosed bat weighting 14 grams
- Pale kangaroo mouse weighting 13 grams
- Eptesicus demissus weighting 13 grams
- Himalayan shrew weighting 14 grams
- Gerbil leaf-eared mouse weighting 17 grams
- Bogotá grass mouse weighting 13 grams
- African pygmy squirrel weighting 16 grams
- Mexican long-tongued bat weighting 17 grams