How many baby Andean mountain cavys are in a litter?
A Andean mountain cavy (Microcavia niata) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 5 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 15 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 54 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 30 grams (0.07 lbs) and measure 9.5 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Caviidae family (genus: Microcavia). An adult Andean mountain cavy grows up to a size of 20 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Andean mountain cavy (Microcavia niata) is a species of rodent in the family Caviidae. It is found in Bolivia, Chile and Peru.
Other animals of the family Caviidae
Andean mountain cavy is a member of the Caviidae, as are these animals:
- Guinea pig with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Shipton’s mountain cavy with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Montane guinea pig with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rock cavy with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brazilian yellow-toothed cavy weighting only 450 grams
- Lesser capybara with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Patagonian mara with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Capybara with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Common yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Greater guinea pig weighting only 460 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Andean mountain cavy
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Southern big-eared mouse
- Cape gerbil
- Stein’s rat
- Crawford’s gray shrew
- Mexican cottontail
- Broad-striped dasyure
- Emin’s gerbil
- Southern flying squirrel
- Royle’s pika
Animals with the same weight as a Andean mountain cavy
What other animals weight around 255 grams (0.56 lbs)?
- Transbaikal zokor weighting 259 grams
- Northeast African mole-rat weighting 227 grams
- Squirrel glider weighting 230 grams
- Strong tuco-tuco weighting 233 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Belding’s ground squirrel weighting 272 grams
- Amazon weasel weighting 268 grams
- Spiny Ceram rat weighting 306 grams
- Long-tailed spiny rat weighting 205 grams
- Brandt’s hedgehog weighting 213 grams