How many baby Montane guinea pigs are in a litter?
A Montane guinea pig (Cavia tschudii) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 5 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 5 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 63 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 80 grams (0.18 lbs) and measure 20 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Caviidae family (genus: Cavia). An adult Montane guinea pig grows up to a size of 89 cm (3′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The montane guinea pig (Cavia tschudii) is a species of caviid rodent found in the Andes in South America. The montane guinea pig is the likely ancestor of Cavia porcellus, the domestic cavy or domestic guinea pig.
Other animals of the family Caviidae
Montane guinea pig is a member of the Caviidae, as are these animals:
- Brazilian guinea pig with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser capybara with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Guinea pig with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Capybara with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Shiny guinea pig with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rock cavy with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Andean mountain cavy with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Chacoan mara with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Shipton’s mountain cavy with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Montane guinea pig
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Northern olingo
- California leaf-nosed bat
- Long-legged bat
- Lar gibbon
- Dama gazelle
- Père David’s deer
- North American porcupine
- Hammer-headed bat
- Darling’s horseshoe bat
- Fea’s muntjac
Animals with the same weight as a Montane guinea pig
What other animals weight around 1000 grams (2.2 lbs)?
- Screaming hairy armadillo weighting 930 grams
- Long-nosed potoroo usually reaching 1.07 kgs (2.36 lbs)
- Common echymipera weighting 825 grams
- Rothschild’s woolly rat usually reaching 1.16 kgs (2.56 lbs)
- Desert cottontail weighting 882 grams
- North African hedgehog weighting 931 grams
- Eastern lesser bamboo lemur weighting 936 grams
- Andean squirrel weighting 803 grams
- Utah prairie dog weighting 900 grams
- Mountain cottontail weighting 803 grams