How many baby Darling’s horseshoe bats are in a litter?
A Darling’s horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus darlingi) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.09 meter (3′ 7″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Rhinolophus). An adult Darling’s horseshoe bat grows up to a size of 3.74 meter (12′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Darling’s horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus darlingi) is a species of bat in the family Rhinolophidae found in Africa. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, caves, and subterranean habitats (other than caves).
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Darling’s horseshoe bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Little Japanese horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bushveld horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Benito roundleaf bat weighting only 6 grams
- Geoffroy’s horseshoe bat weighting only 5 grams
- Dent’s horseshoe bat weighting only 6 grams
- Cape horseshoe bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Paratriaenops furculus weighting only 5 grams
- Orange leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Diadem leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Philippine pygmy roundleaf bat weighting only 3 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Darling’s horseshoe bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Northern hairy-nosed wombat
- Dama gazelle
- Kerivoula hardwickei
- Fea’s muntjac
- Maxwell’s duiker
- Painted ringtail possum
- Southern needle-clawed bushbaby
- Southern giant slender-tailed cloud rat
Animals with the same weight as a Darling’s horseshoe bat
What other animals weight around 8 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Rhinolophus sedulus weighting 8 grams
- Davy’s naked-backed bat weighting 9 grams
- Greater dwarf shrew weighting 8 grams
- Hoary wattled bat weighting 8 grams
- Long-legged bat weighting 8 grams
- Small bent-winged bat weighting 8 grams
- Kelaart’s pipistrelle weighting 8 grams
- Antillean ghost-faced bat weighting 8 grams
- Sind bat weighting 7 grams
- Kenyan wattled bat weighting 7 grams