How many baby Cape horseshoe bats are in a litter?
A Cape horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus capensis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 108 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 61.35 kg (135.26 lbs) and measure 1.09 meter (3′ 7″). They are a member of the Rhinolophidae family (genus: Rhinolophus). An adult Cape horseshoe bat grows up to a size of 3.74 meter (12′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Cape horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus capensis) is a species of bat in the family Rhinolophidae. It is endemic to South Africa, and is potentially threatened by habitat loss and disturbance of its roosting sites, although it is present in large enough numbers to be considered of least concern by the IUCN.It is a member of the Rhinolophus capensis species group, together with the Bushveld, Dent’s and Swinny’s horseshoe bats, and is monotypic, with no subspecies.
Other animals of the family Rhinolophidae
Cape horseshoe bat is a member of the Rhinolophidae, as are these animals:
- Philippine forest horseshoe bat weighting only 13 grams
- Diadem leaf-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peninsular horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Rhinolophus hilli weighting only 13 grams
- Borneo roundleaf bat weighting only 2 grams
- Cyclops roundleaf bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Trident bat weighting only 12 grams
- Bourret’s horseshoe bat weighting only 8 grams
- Lesser brown horseshoe bat weighting only 7 grams
- Malayan tailless leaf-nosed bat weighting only 6 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Cape horseshoe bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Fulvus roundleaf bat
- Fischer’s pygmy fruit bat
- Venezuelan red howler
- Lander’s horseshoe bat
- Mountain paca
- Allied rock-wallaby
- Southern long-nosed bat
- Indian pipistrelle
- Smaller horseshoe bat
- Sloggett’s vlei rat
Animals with the same weight as a Cape horseshoe bat
What other animals weight around 12 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Silky short-tailed bat weighting 14 grams
- Montane white-toothed shrew weighting 14 grams
- Western harvest mouse weighting 10 grams
- Lesser hairy-footed dunnart weighting 11 grams
- Para dog-faced bat weighting 12 grams
- Merida small-eared shrew weighting 12 grams
- Southern yellow bat weighting 12 grams
- Western bent-winged bat weighting 14 grams
- Mahomet mouse weighting 10 grams
- Hairy-tailed bat weighting 14 grams