How many baby Sloggett’s vlei rats are in a litter?
A Sloggett’s vlei rat (Otomys sloggetti) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 4 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 37 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 11 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 7.1 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Otomys). An adult Sloggett’s vlei rat grows up to a size of 18.2 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Sloggett’s vlei rat or ice rat (Myotomys sloggetti) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is found in southern Lesotho and South Africa where its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical high-altitude grassland, swamps, and rocky areas. Its name commemorates Col. Arthur Sloggett who served in South Africa and collected at Deelfontein in 1902. This is a common species and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated it as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Sloggett’s vlei rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Brazilian shrew mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Stephen’s woodrat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Glacier rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys griseolus weighting only 25 grams
- Murree vole with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Shining thicket rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys destructor weighting only 25 grams
- Delany’s mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Tamaulipan woodrat weighting only 198 grams
- Naked-eared deer mouse weighting only 40 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Sloggett’s vlei rat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Dusky leaf monkey
- Japanese serow
- Hammer-headed bat
- Desert rat-kangaroo
- Black giant squirrel
- Tana River red colobus
- Dwarf sperm whale
- Yellow baboon
- Mexican free-tailed bat
- Ribboned rope squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Sloggett’s vlei rat
What other animals weight around 106 grams (0.23 lbs)?
- Woolly giant rat weighting 116 grams
- Southern climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Bush rat weighting 124 grams
- Guinean gerbil weighting 103 grams
- Buller’s chipmunk weighting 100 grams
- Tsing-ling pika weighting 105 grams
- Asian garden dormouse weighting 100 grams
- Tiny tuco-tuco weighting 92 grams
- Sugar glider weighting 120 grams
- Carpentarian rock rat weighting 123 grams