How many baby Chacoan maras are in a litter?
A Chacoan mara (Dolichotis salinicola) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 77 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 199 grams (0.44 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Caviidae family (genus: Dolichotis). An adult Chacoan mara grows up to a size of 66.4 cm (2′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Chacoan mara (Dolichotis salinicola) is a relatively large South American rodent of the cavy family. They are a close relative of the better known Patagonian mara.
Other animals of the family Caviidae
Chacoan mara is a member of the Caviidae, as are these animals:
- Brazilian yellow-toothed cavy weighting only 450 grams
- Spix’s yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Greater guinea pig weighting only 460 grams
- Lesser capybara with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Andean mountain cavy with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Patagonian mara with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Shiny guinea pig with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Shipton’s mountain cavy with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Guinea pig with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Chacoan mara
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Indiana bat
- Black giant squirrel
- Père David’s vole
- Rufous horseshoe bat
- Indian hare
- North Atlantic right whale
- Felou gundi
- Soemmerring’s gazelle
- Western grey kangaroo
Animals with the same weight as a Chacoan mara
What other animals weight around 1.61 kg (3.55 lbs)?
- Fennec fox usually reaching 1.32 kgs (2.91 lbs)
- Island fox usually reaching 1.92 kgs (4.23 lbs)
- African savanna hare usually reaching 1.76 kgs (3.88 lbs)
- Greater grison usually reaching 1.4 kgs (3.09 lbs)
- Long-footed potoroo usually reaching 1.84 kgs (4.06 lbs)
- Platypus usually reaching 1.48 kgs (3.26 lbs)
- Stein’s cuscus usually reaching 1.85 kgs (4.08 lbs)
- Short-tailed mongoose usually reaching 1.4 kgs (3.09 lbs)
- Nabarlek usually reaching 1.4 kgs (3.09 lbs)
- Golden bamboo lemur usually reaching 1.57 kgs (3.46 lbs)