How many baby Shiny guinea pigs are in a litter?
A Shiny guinea pig (Cavia fulgida) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.With 5 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 5 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 58 grams (0.13 lbs) and measure 20 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Caviidae family (genus: Cavia). An adult Shiny guinea pig grows up to a size of 89 cm (3′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The shiny guinea pig (Cavia fulgida) is a guinea pig species of southeastern South America.The rodent is endemic to Brazil and Argentina. It is native to the Atlantic Forest ecoregions.
Other animals of the family Caviidae
Shiny guinea pig is a member of the Caviidae, as are these animals:
- Capybara with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Common yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Patagonian mara with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brazilian yellow-toothed cavy weighting only 450 grams
- Brazilian guinea pig with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Spix’s yellow-toothed cavy with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Montane guinea pig with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rock cavy with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greater guinea pig weighting only 460 grams
- Lesser capybara with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Shiny guinea pig
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Black and rufous elephant shrew
- Seba’s short-tailed bat
- Least pipistrelle
- Harpy fruit bat
- Red-faced spider monkey
- Heart-nosed bat
- Formosan rock macaque
Animals with the same weight as a Shiny guinea pig
What other animals weight around 283 grams (0.62 lbs)?
- Afghan pika weighting 250 grams
- Long-eared hedgehog weighting 332 grams
- Madagascan fruit bat weighting 296 grams
- Round-tailed muskrat weighting 265 grams
- Simons’s spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Northern glider weighting 278 grams
- Napo spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Yellow-bellied weasel weighting 264 grams
- Maule tuco-tuco weighting 235 grams
- Sonoran woodrat weighting 227 grams