How many baby Southern big-eared mouses are in a litter?
A Southern big-eared mouse (Auliscomys micropus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 100 grams (0.22 lbs) and measure 18 cm (0′ 8″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Auliscomys). An adult Southern big-eared mouse grows up to a size of 50 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The southern big-eared mouse (Loxodontomys micropus), also known as the southern pericote, is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in Argentina and Chile, and is one of only two species in its genus. The type specimen was captured by Charles Darwin in 1834 along the Santa Cruz River in Argentina, during the voyage of HMS Beagle, and was subsequently described by George Robert Waterhouse.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Southern big-eared mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Taiwan vole with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Venezuelan climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Fire-bellied brush-furred rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Euryoryzomys lamia weighting only 60 grams
- Oxymycterus hucucha weighting only 67 grams
- De Vis’s woolly rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Stella wood mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- New Guinean rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Tullberg’s soft-furred mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Royle’s mountain vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Southern big-eared mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Smoky white-toothed shrew
- Salvin’s spiny pocket mouse
- Lesser red musk shrew
- Transandinomys bolivaris
- Polynesian rat
- Panamanian spiny pocket mouse
- Balochistan gerbil
- Sado mole
- Ring-tailed cat
Animals with the same weight as a Southern big-eared mouse
What other animals weight around 70 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- Brown deer mouse weighting 66 grams
- Hottentot golden mole weighting 65 grams
- Namaqua rock rat weighting 57 grams
- Robinson’s mouse opossum weighting 61 grams
- Big deer mouse weighting 71 grams
- Norway lemming weighting 67 grams
- Peterson’s chinchilla mouse weighting 83 grams
- Balkan snow vole weighting 56 grams
- Charming thicket rat weighting 61 grams
- Gray leaf-eared mouse weighting 68 grams