How many baby Stella wood mouses are in a litter?
A Stella wood mouse (Hylomyscus stella) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 29 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8.5 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Hylomyscus). An adult Stella wood mouse grows up to a size of 13.2 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Stella hylomyscus or Stella wood mouse (Hylomyscus stella) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is found in Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest and subtropical or tropical moist montane forest.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Stella wood mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Soft grass mouse weighting only 30 grams
- Bramble Cay melomys weighting only 100 grams
- Malagasy giant rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Flat-haired mouse with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Large tree mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Algerian mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Western New Guinea mountain rat raching a size of 13.1 cm (0′ 6″)
- Cursor grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Black rat with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Short-nosed harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Stella wood mouse
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Southern bog lemming
- Juniper vole
- Red-nosed mouse
- Royle’s pika
- Southeastern shrew
- Panamanian spiny pocket mouse
- Molina’s grass mouse
- Brown palm civet
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa
- Cape gerbil
Animals with the same weight as a Stella wood mouse
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Black-capped fruit bat weighting 17 grams
- Greater forest shrew weighting 16 grams
- Oligoryzomys nigripes weighting 20 grams
- Aceramarca gracile opossum weighting 20 grams
- White-footed mouse weighting 18 grams
- Wrinkle-lipped free-tailed bat weighting 21 grams
- Slender-tailed dunnart weighting 17 grams
- Velvety fruit-eating bat weighting 16 grams
- Davis’s round-eared bat weighting 20 grams
- Moon forest shrew weighting 18 grams