How many baby Thick-tailed three-toed jerboas are in a litter?
A Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa (Stylodipus telum) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 7 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 4.5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Dipodidae family (genus: Stylodipus). An adult Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa grows up to a size of 45.4 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The thick-tailed three-toed jerboa (Stylodipus telum) is a species of rodent in the family Dipodidae. It is found in China, Kazakhstan, Russia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan. Its typical habitat is steppe, desert and mountain grassland where it is often found among saltbush and Artemisia in sandy or clayey soils.
Other animals of the family Dipodidae
Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa is a member of the Dipodidae, as are these animals:
- Southern birch mouse weighting only 11 grams
- Blanford’s jerboa with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Meadow jumping mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Euphrates jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Northern birch mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Woodland jumping mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Baluchistan pygmy jerboa with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser fat-tailed jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Small five-toed jerboa with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Bobrinski’s jerboa with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Western red-backed vole
- Père David’s mole
- Bolivian big-eared mouse
- Amazonian marsh rat
- Taiwanese brown-toothed shrew
- Crawford’s gray shrew
- Hoary fox
- Pampas fox
- Slender harvest mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa
What other animals weight around 60 grams (0.13 lbs)?
- Trinidad spiny pocket mouse weighting 69 grams
- Grayish mouse opossum weighting 48 grams
- Handleyomys intectus weighting 60 grams
- Dormouse tufted-tailed rat weighting 69 grams
- Vampyriscus nymphaea weighting 69 grams
- Dark-tailed tree rat weighting 71 grams
- Buffy broad-nosed bat weighting 50 grams
- Arrow flying squirrel weighting 49 grams
- Philippine tube-nosed fruit bat weighting 68 grams
- Underwood’s bonneted bat weighting 58 grams