How many baby Amazonian marsh rats are in a litter?
A Amazonian marsh rat (Holochilus sciureus) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 5 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Holochilus). An adult Amazonian marsh rat grows up to a size of 22.3 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Amazonian marsh rat (Holochilus sciureus), also known as the common marsh rat, or simply the marsh rat, is a rodent species from South America.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Amazonian marsh rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- New Guinean jumping mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Smoke-bellied rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Mottled-tailed shrew mouse weighting only 18 grams
- Paramo hocicudo weighting only 41 grams
- Long-tailed vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican volcano mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Definitive leaf-eared mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Mearns’s grasshopper mouse weighting only 30 grams
- Buenos Aires leaf-eared mouse weighting only 42 grams
- African grass rat with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Amazonian marsh rat
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Chilean rock rat
- Rock pocket mouse
- Cotton mouse
- Bicolored shrew
- Woodland dormouse
- Russian desman
- Wagner’s gerbil
- Fulvous harvest mouse
- Hoary fox
- Zacatecan deer mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Amazonian marsh rat
What other animals weight around 120 grams (0.26 lbs)?
- Owl’s spiny rat weighting 114 grams
- Harris’s antelope squirrel weighting 127 grams
- Dwarf flying fox weighting 122 grams
- Osgood’s short-tailed opossum weighting 112 grams
- Black-tailed gerbil weighting 123 grams
- Long-haired rousette weighting 104 grams
- Golden hamster weighting 98 grams
- Sooretamys weighting 144 grams
- Slender rat weighting 109 grams
- Lowland streaked tenrec weighting 129 grams