It is hard to guess what a Black-tailed gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Black-tailed gerbil (Tatera nigricauda) on average weights 123 grams (0.27 lbs).
The Black-tailed gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Tatera). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 11.7 cm (0′ 5″). On average, Black-tailed gerbils can have babies 5 times per year with a litter size of 4.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The black-tailed gerbil (Gerbilliscus nigricaudus) is a species of gerbil found in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, and Tanzania. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, and arable land.
Animals of the same family as a Black-tailed gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Tanezumi rat with a weight of 140 grams
- Giluwe rat with a size of 15 cm (0′ 6″)
- Oligoryzomys nigripes with a weight of 20 grams
- Ash-colored Oldfield mouse with a weight of 77 grams
- Mount Apo forest mouse with a weight of 34 grams
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat with a weight of 84 grams
- Sonoran harvest mouse with a weight of 20 grams
- Namib brush-tailed gerbil with a weight of 38 grams
- Phillips’s gerbil with a weight of 127 grams
- Rakali with a weight of 626 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Black-tailed gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Tatera nigricauda:
- Ellerman’s tufted-tailed rat bringing 100 grams to the scale
- Northern palm squirrel bringing 102 grams to the scale
- Woolly-headed spiny tree-rat bringing 108 grams to the scale
- Sula rat bringing 131 grams to the scale
- Bush vlei rat bringing 102 grams to the scale
- Slender treeshrew bringing 112 grams to the scale
- Southern African vlei rat bringing 114 grams to the scale
- Pale leaf-eared mouse bringing 102 grams to the scale
- Bare-tailed woolly mouse opossum bringing 119 grams to the scale
- Sooretamys bringing 100 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Black-tailed gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Black-tailed gerbil: