How many baby Nyika climbing mouses are in a litter?
A Nyika climbing mouse (Dendromus nyikae) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 200 grams (0.44 lbs) and measure 0.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Dendromus). An adult Nyika climbing mouse grows up to a size of 62.4 cm (2′ 1″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Nyika climbing mouse (Dendromus nyikae) is a species of rodent in the family Nesomyidae.It is found in Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitat is moist savanna.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Nyika climbing mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Notiomys weighting only 21 grams
- Korean field mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Small vesper mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- One-toothed shrew mouse weighting only 21 grams
- Somali pygmy gerbil raching a size of 6.8 cm (0′ 3″)
- Drylands vesper mouse with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Florida naked-tailed rat raching a size of 27 cm (0′ 11″)
- White-ankled mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Oligoryzomys flavescens with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Thespian grass mouse weighting only 24 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Nyika climbing mouse
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Lesser Egyptian gerbil
- Kloss’s mole
- Peromyscus maniculatus
- Silky mouse
- Shrew gymnure
- Red squirrel
- Pygmy spotted skunk
- Turkestan rat
- Gracile tateril
- European water vole
Animals with the same weight as a Nyika climbing mouse
What other animals weight around 15 grams (0.03 lbs)?
- Brown mastiff bat weighting 15 grams
- True’s shrew mole weighting 14 grams
- Russet free-tailed bat weighting 16 grams
- Maggie Taylor’s roundleaf bat weighting 16 grams
- Roberts’s flat-headed bat weighting 14 grams
- Pygmy fruit bat weighting 15 grams
- Greater long-fingered bat weighting 14 grams
- Halcyon horseshoe bat weighting 18 grams
- Lovat’s climbing mouse weighting 12 grams
- Buffy flower bat weighting 16 grams