How many baby Gracile taterils are in a litter?
A Gracile tateril (Taterillus gracilis) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 28 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Taterillus). An adult Gracile tateril grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The gracile tateril or slender gerbil (Taterillus gracilis) is a species of gerbil found in Burkina Faso, Chad, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo, and possibly Cameroon. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, arable land, pastureland, and rural gardens. It is a common species, sometimes considered an agricultural pest, and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has rated its conservation status as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Gracile tateril is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Woosnam’s broad-headed mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Rudd’s mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Montane Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Cursor grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Maxomys baeodon weighting only 159 grams
- Mindanao mountain rat raching a size of 12.8 cm (0′ 6″)
- One-toothed shrew mouse weighting only 21 grams
- Lesser ranee mouse raching a size of 6.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Nicaraguan harvest mouse raching a size of 7.1 cm (0′ 3″)
- Handleyomys alfaroi with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Gracile tateril
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Shrew gymnure
- Beaded wood mouse
- Sierra Madre ground squirrel
- Pousargues’s mongoose
- Caucasian squirrel
- Montane wood mouse
- Shrew gymnure
- Eastern cottontail
- Krebs’s fat mouse
- Golden jackal
Animals with the same weight as a Gracile tateril
What other animals weight around 49 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Ammodile weighting 50 grams
- Musso’s fish-eating rat weighting 40 grams
- Southern marsupial mole weighting 56 grams
- California mouse weighting 42 grams
- Hainan gymnure weighting 52 grams
- Mesquite mouse weighting 40 grams
- Meadow vole weighting 42 grams
- Singing vole weighting 41 grams
- Large vesper mouse weighting 45 grams
- Tawny deer mouse weighting 40 grams