How many baby Handleyomys alfarois are in a litter?
A Handleyomys alfaroi (Oryzomys alfaroi) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 12.07 kg (26.61 lbs) and measure 2.37 meter (7′ 10″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Oryzomys). An adult Handleyomys alfaroi grows up to a size of 1.62 meter (5′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Handleyomys alfaroi, also known as Alfaro’s rice rat or Alfaro’s oryzomys, is a species of rodent in the genus Handleyomys of family Cricetidae. It is found in Belize, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Panama. It was previously included in Oryzomys as Oryzomys alfaroi. Its natural habitats are subtropical and tropical lowland or montane dry forests at elevations ranging from sea level to 2500 m.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Handleyomys alfaroi is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Mittendorf’s striped grass mouse weighting only 41 grams
- Brown deer mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern heather vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Kemp’s grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
- Isarog shrew-rat weighting only 122 grams
- Long-tailed vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Puebla deer mouse weighting only 59 grams
- Alpine woolly rat weighting around 2.04 kilograms (4.5 lbs)
- Japanese grass vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Incan hocicudo weighting only 34 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Handleyomys alfaroi
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Desert kangaroo rat
- Rock vole
- Oligoryzomys nigripes
- Nagtglas’s African dormouse
- Long-nosed dasyure
- Mexican cottontail
- Bunny rat
- Crosse’s shrew
- Northern collared lemming
- Desert hedgehog
Animals with the same weight as a Handleyomys alfaroi
What other animals weight around 33 grams (0.07 lbs)?
- Ecuadorian grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- Mole-like rice tenrec weighting 34 grams
- El Dorado grass mouse weighting 39 grams
- Theobald’s tomb bat weighting 36 grams
- Gleaning mouse weighting 35 grams
- Eastern heather vole weighting 27 grams
- Sepia short-tailed opossum weighting 36 grams
- Wagner’s gerbil weighting 27 grams
- White-striped free-tailed bat weighting 36 grams
- Fire-bellied brush-furred rat weighting 32 grams