How many baby Eastern heather voles are in a litter?
A Eastern heather vole (Phenacomys ungava) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 22 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 6.9 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Phenacomys). An adult Eastern heather vole grows up to a size of 10.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The eastern heather vole, (Phenacomys ungava), is a small North American vole. Until recently, this species was considered to belong to the same species as the western heather vole, Phenacomys intermedius. It is also called the Ungava vole.Though some studies have indicated that Phenacomys ungava is “rare” or “uncommon,” other researchers have found that the animal can be common locally, and others have suggested that the population may undergo cyclic abundance.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Eastern heather vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Grey red-backed vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Gracile tateril with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Oecomys concolor with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Gray leaf-eared mouse with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mindoro black rat with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Gray-bellied tree mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern groove-toothed shrew mouse weighting only 10 grams
- Sikkim rat with 9 babies per pregnancy
- Western pebble-mound mouse weighting only 10 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Eastern heather vole
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Wild boar
- Large bamboo rat
- Tamarisk jird
- Tropical pocket gopher
- Swift fox
- Greater hamster-rat
- Madras treeshrew
- Peromyscus maniculatus
- Woolly dormouse
- Zagros Mountains mouse-like hamster
Animals with the same weight as a Eastern heather vole
What other animals weight around 27 grams (0.06 lbs)?
- Tonatia silvicola weighting 32 grams
- Asian particolored bat weighting 24 grams
- Ratanaworabhan’s fruit bat weighting 32 grams
- Palawan pencil-tailed tree mouse weighting 28 grams
- Soft grass mouse weighting 30 grams
- Lesser long-nosed bat weighting 22 grams
- Ash-grey mouse weighting 30 grams
- Shaggy bat weighting 23 grams
- Akodon azarae weighting 25 grams
- Salvin’s big-eyed bat weighting 26 grams