How many baby Large bamboo rats are in a litter?
A Large bamboo rat (Rhizomys sumatrensis) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 21 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 90 grams (0.2 lbs) and measure 2.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Rhizomys). An adult Large bamboo rat grows up to a size of 21 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The large bamboo rat, Sumatran rat, or Indomalayan rat (Rhizomys sumatrensis) is a species of rodent in the family Spalacidae found in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. It is one of four species of bamboo rat. Individuals can reach lengths of nearly 50 cm (20 in) with a 20 cm (7.9 in) tail, and weigh up to 4 kilograms (8.8 lb).Their typical diet includes bamboo roots, but they also feed on cultivated tapioca and sugarcane. They are, in turn, hunted as food by human beings.The species is a natural host for the disease-causing mold, Penicillium marneffei.It is one of several species of large rats that have been identified by scholars of Sherlockiana as the original model for the mysterious Giant Rat of Sumatra alluded to in a fictional story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Large bamboo rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Cactus mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- California mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Fat sand rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Argentine hocicudo weighting only 67 grams
- Luzon striped rat weighting only 152 grams
- Chinanteco deer mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Bower’s white-toothed rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Molaccan prehensile-tailed rat weighting only 148 grams
- Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat raching a size of 37.1 cm (1′ 3″)
- Eastern rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Large bamboo rat
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Great Basin pocket mouse
- Sandstone false antechinus
- Kemp’s gerbil
- European water vole
- Red fox
- Madras treeshrew
- Sundevall’s jird
- Side-striped jackal
- Giant forest hog
- Field vole
Animals with the same weight as a Large bamboo rat
What other animals weight around 2.5 kg (5.51 lbs)?
- Lesser cane rat usually reaching 2.71 kgs (5.97 lbs)
- Kodkod usually reaching 2.5 kgs (5.51 lbs)
- Dryas monkey usually reaching 2.78 kgs (6.13 lbs)
- Black-rumped agouti usually reaching 2.9 kgs (6.39 lbs)
- Swamp rabbit usually reaching 2.14 kgs (4.72 lbs)
- Meller’s mongoose usually reaching 2.24 kgs (4.94 lbs)
- Monk saki usually reaching 2.11 kgs (4.65 lbs)
- Black-footed mongoose usually reaching 2.62 kgs (5.78 lbs)
- Woolly hare usually reaching 2.47 kgs (5.45 lbs)
- Common brown lemur usually reaching 2.38 kgs (5.25 lbs)