How many baby Kemp’s gerbils are in a litter?
A Kemp’s gerbil (Tatera kempi) usually gives birth to around 3 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 25 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 5 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Tatera). An adult Kemp’s gerbil grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Kemp’s gerbil (Gerbilliscus kempi) is a species of gerbil found in Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Mali, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and possibly Liberia. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests, dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, arable land, and pastureland.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Kemp’s gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Cairo spiny mouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Northern mole vole with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Southern climbing mouse weighting only 89 grams
- Ural field mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Giluwe rat raching a size of 15 cm (0′ 6″)
- Greater mole-rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Lakeland Downs mouse weighting only 17 grams
- Southern red-backed vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Hairy-eared cerrado mouse weighting only 24 grams
- Townsend’s vole with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Kemp’s gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 3 babies at once:
- Desmarest’s spiny pocket mouse
- Mountain spiny pocket mouse
- Long-nosed dasyure
- Fisher (animal)
- Texas pocket gopher
- Rock pocket mouse
- Black-footed ferret
- Pinyon mouse
- Lesser red musk shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Kemp’s gerbil
What other animals weight around 101 grams (0.22 lbs)?
- Mountain pocket gopher weighting 81 grams
- Splendid climbing mouse weighting 89 grams
- Voalavoanala weighting 97 grams
- Plain brush-tailed rat weighting 105 grams
- Red hocicudo weighting 82 grams
- Long-eared chipmunk weighting 83 grams
- Low’s squirrel weighting 85 grams
- Slender treeshrew weighting 112 grams
- Thomas’s bushbaby weighting 117 grams
- Miller’s mastiff bat weighting 98 grams