How many baby Greater mole-rats are in a litter?
A Greater mole-rat (Spalax microphthalmus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 8 grams (0.02 lbs) and measure 5.6 cm (0′ 3″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Spalax). An adult Greater mole-rat grows up to a size of 13.2 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The greater mole-rat (Spalax microphthalmus) is a species of rodent in the family Spalacidae. It is found in Russia and Ukraine.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Greater mole-rat is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Chinese striped hamster with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Rahm’s brush-furred rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bolivian vesper mouse weighting only 27 grams
- South African pouched mouse with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Moss-forest rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- African pygmy mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Volcano harvest mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Arctic lemming with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Canyon mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Greater mole-rat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Greater tree mouse
- Bushy-tailed jird
- Giant otter
- Southern brown bandicoot
- San Lorenzo mouse
- Tatra pine vole
- Siberian flying squirrel
- Pel’s flying squirrel
- Val’s gundi
- Mediterranean pine vole
Animals with the same weight as a Greater mole-rat
What other animals weight around 470 grams (1.04 lbs)?
- Vanuatu flying fox weighting 396 grams
- Short-tailed chinchilla weighting 499 grams
- Painted tree-rat weighting 518 grams
- Striped possum weighting 413 grams
- Yellow-crowned brush-tailed rat weighting 445 grams
- Cotton-top tamarin weighting 463 grams
- Silky tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Azara’s tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Short-furred Atlantic tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Goya tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams