How many baby Mediterranean pine voles are in a litter?
A Mediterranean pine vole (Microtus duodecimcostatus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.8 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Microtus). An adult Mediterranean pine vole grows up to a size of 10.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Mediterranean pine vole (Microtus duodecimcostatus) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is found in France, Andorra, Portugal, and Spain where it lives in a network of shallow tunnels.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Mediterranean pine vole is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Diminutive woodrat weighting only 80 grams
- Thomas’s Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Obi mosaic-tailed rat weighting only 71 grams
- Pocock’s highland rat raching a size of 12.8 cm (0′ 6″)
- Masked white-tailed rat with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Chinese striped hamster with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Cameroon soft-furred mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Field vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Blick’s grass rat weighting only 128 grams
- Goldman’s water mouse weighting only 38 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Mediterranean pine vole
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Giant otter
- Desert pocket mouse
- True’s shrew mole
- Peters’s musk shrew
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher
- White-footed vole
- Smith’s red rock hare
- Pouched gerbil
- Mexican fox squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Mediterranean pine vole
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Van Gelder’s bat weighting 22 grams
- Ethiopian striped mouse weighting 18 grams
- Harlequin bat weighting 22 grams
- White-bellied free-tailed bat weighting 21 grams
- Moss-forest blossom bat weighting 20 grams
- Butiaba naked-tailed shrew weighting 18 grams
- Abrothrix andinus weighting 24 grams
- Bank vole weighting 20 grams
- Pallid bat weighting 22 grams
- Abrothrix sanborni weighting 24 grams