How many baby Pouched gerbils are in a litter?
A Pouched gerbil (Desmodilliscus braueri) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 30 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 200 grams (0.44 lbs) and measure 0.4 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Desmodilliscus). An adult Pouched gerbil grows up to a size of 20.3 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The pouched gerbil (Desmodilliscus braueri) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is the only species in the genus Desmodilliscus and the subtribe Desmodilliscina.It is found across western Africa from Mauritania east to Sudan. Its natural habitat is dry savanna.This species is probably the smallest of the familia Muridae. It weighs 6 to 14 grams, its length is 4 to 8 cm without the shorter, poorly haired tail.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Pouched gerbil is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Northern grass mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Osgood’s mouse weighting only 27 grams
- Defua rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern shrew mouse weighting only 16 grams
- Gray tree rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Unicolored Oldfield mouse weighting only 77 grams
- Common rock rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Desert woodrat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Wagner’s gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Field vole with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Pouched gerbil
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Golden mouse
- Antelope jackrabbit
- Lesser yellow bat
- Eurasian beaver
- Murree vole
- Mountain treeshrew
- Pied tamarin
- African wading rat
- White-lipped peccary
- Eurasian lynx
Animals with the same weight as a Pouched gerbil
What other animals weight around 10 grams (0.02 lbs)?
- Fulvous harvest mouse weighting 11 grams
- African sheath-tailed bat weighting 10 grams
- Taiga shrew weighting 12 grams
- Sundevall’s roundleaf bat weighting 9 grams
- Philippine forest roundleaf bat weighting 9 grams
- Fringed myotis weighting 8 grams
- California leaf-nosed bat weighting 11 grams
- Pallid large-footed myotis weighting 12 grams
- Yellow serotine weighting 10 grams
- Altai birch mouse weighting 10 grams