How many baby Lesser yellow bats are in a litter?
A Lesser yellow bat (Scotophilus borbonicus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.With 1 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 185 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Scotophilus). An adult Lesser yellow bat grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The lesser yellow bat (Scotophilus borbonicus) is a vesper bat found only on Madagascar and Réunion. On Réunion, it was considered common early in the 19th century, but was last sighted late in the 19th century. Only a single specimen attributed to this species, collected in 1868, is known from Madagascar. It was listed as a critically endangered species in 1996 due to habitat loss, and may be extinct.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Lesser yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Big brown bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Kenyan wattled bat weighting only 7 grams
- Malagasy mouse-eared bat weighting only 5 grams
- Grey long-eared bat becoming 15 years old
- Java pipistrelle with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Nathusius’s pipistrelle with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Riparian myotis weighting only 4 grams
- Asian barbastelle weighting only 15 grams
- Northern cave bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Red myotis weighting only 5 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Lesser yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Dusky-footed woodrat
- Little pied bat
- Volcano rabbit
- Malayan tree rat
- Rusty-spotted genet
- Mount Pirri isthmus rat
- Yellow-faced pocket gopher
- Rock hyrax
- Allegheny woodrat
- Van Deusen’s rat
Animals with the same weight as a Lesser yellow bat
What other animals weight around 19 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- House mouse weighting 19 grams
- Melissa’s yellow-eared bat weighting 16 grams
- Neacomys tenuipes weighting 19 grams
- Dwarf fat-tailed mouse opossum weighting 20 grams
- Mexican long-tongued bat weighting 17 grams
- Sinaloan mastiff bat weighting 22 grams
- Brown fruit-eating bat weighting 19 grams
- Sumichrast’s harvest mouse weighting 19 grams
- Juliana’s golden mole weighting 22 grams
- Smoky grass mouse weighting 22 grams