How many baby Java pipistrelles are in a litter?
A Java pipistrelle (Pipistrellus javanicus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 71 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 2.3 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Pipistrellus). An adult Java pipistrelle grows up to a size of 10.5 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Java pipistrelle (Pipistrellus javanicus) is a species of pipistrelle bat found in South and Southeast Asia, including Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Brunei; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Laos; Malaysia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Thailand and Vietnam. It favors human habitations. A 2010 research paper from the Philippines regarding the prevalence of coronavirus in bats tested several Java pipistrelle bats.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Java pipistrelle is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Eisentraut’s pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Elegant myotis weighting only 4 grams
- Western broad-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hoary wattled bat weighting only 8 grams
- Blanford’s bat weighting only 6 grams
- Thick-thumbed myotis weighting only 3 grams
- Asian particolored bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Variegated butterfly bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Beatrix’s bat weighting only 7 grams
- Dormer’s bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Java pipistrelle
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Eastern rat
- Murree vole
- Thomas’s giant deer mouse
- Dusky-footed woodrat
- Rusty-spotted cat
- Highveld gerbil
- Florida mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Java pipistrelle
What other animals weight around 4 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Delany’s mouse weighting 4 grams
- Peters’s sheath-tailed bat weighting 4 grams
- Pipistrellus babu weighting 4 grams
- Groove-toothed bat weighting 4 grams
- Proboscis bat weighting 4 grams
- Indian pipistrelle weighting 4 grams
- Lesser horseshoe bat weighting 4 grams
- Percival’s trident bat weighting 4 grams
- Least long-fingered bat weighting 4 grams
- Light-winged lesser house bat weighting 4 grams