How many baby Asian particolored bats are in a litter?
A Asian particolored bat (Vespertilio superans) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 52 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 8.3 cm (0′ 4″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Vespertilio). An adult Asian particolored bat grows up to a size of 54.7 cm (1′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Asian parti-colored bat (Vespertilio sinensis) is a species of parti-coloured bat. An adult Asian parti-colored bat has a body length of 6–7 cm, a tail of 4.3-4.5 cm, and a wing length of 5 cm. Asian parti-colored bats are distributed across East Asia, from Taiwan through eastern China, eastern Mongolia and Russia (Siberia) to the Korean Peninsula and Japan (Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu).
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
Asian particolored bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Great bent-winged bat weighting only 15 grams
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Thick-eared bat weighting only 8 grams
- Eastern small-footed myotis weighting only 5 grams
- Common thick-thumbed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Bechstein’s bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Silver-haired bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pond bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Van Gelder’s bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Chocolate wattled bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Asian particolored bat
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Desert pocket mouse
- Chisel-toothed kangaroo rat
- Black-headed marmoset
- Collared tuco-tuco
- Slender mongoose
- Fennec fox
- Menzbier’s marmot
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat
- Geoffroy’s tamarin
Animals with the same weight as a Asian particolored bat
What other animals weight around 24 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Steppe field mouse weighting 20 grams
- Steppe lemming weighting 20 grams
- Hildebrandt’s horseshoe bat weighting 25 grams
- Beaded wood mouse weighting 22 grams
- Long-nosed caenolestid weighting 21 grams
- Gracile shrew tenrec weighting 23 grams
- Long-tailed pocket mouse weighting 20 grams
- Western jumping mouse weighting 27 grams
- New Guinea free-tailed bat weighting 26 grams
- Altiplano grass mouse weighting 20 grams