How many baby Black-headed marmosets are in a litter?
A Black-headed marmoset (Callithrix nigriceps) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 11.1 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Cebidae family (genus: Callithrix). An adult Black-headed marmoset grows up to a size of 14.6 cm (0′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The black-headed marmoset (Mico nigriceps) is a marmoset species endemic to Brazil. It inhabits humid tropical rainforest, mostly second growth and edge; the distribution is not exactly known but is thought to be Rio dos Marmelos in the north and east, Madeira River in the west and Ji-Paraná River in the south. The threats are not exactly known but it may be near human traffic including the Trans-Amazonian Highway where cattle ranching and logging is occurring. It is not hunted but may be used as pets.
Other animals of the family Cebidae
Black-headed marmoset is a member of the Cebidae, as are these animals:
- Bolivian red howler weighting around 6.61 kilograms (14.57 lbs)
- White-bellied spider monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hoffmanns’s titi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rio Mayo titi with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Peruvian spider monkey weighting around 7.09 kilograms (15.63 lbs)
- Maués marmoset weighting only 443 grams
- Black bearded saki with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brown woolly monkey with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Southern muriqui with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Emilia’s marmoset weighting only 309 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Black-headed marmoset
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Burmese ferret-badger
- Indian crested porcupine
- Ruddy mongoose
- White-throated woodrat
- Slender rat
- Big-eared swamp rat
- Watson’s climbing rat
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk
- Cape genet
- Short-tailed gymnure
Animals with the same weight as a Black-headed marmoset
What other animals weight around 401 grams (0.88 lbs)?
- Little red flying fox weighting 379 grams
- Social tuco-tuco weighting 400 grams
- Buffy-headed marmoset weighting 374 grams
- Camas pocket gopher weighting 360 grams
- Bougainville naked-tailed rat weighting 397 grams
- Buffy-tufted marmoset weighting 387 grams
- Pteropus gilliardi weighting 403 grams
- Short-furred Atlantic tree-rat weighting 439 grams
- Mutable sun squirrel weighting 390 grams
- Zanj sun squirrel weighting 347 grams